My ambassador cake - (pastry cream, genoise and strawberries) covered with green almond paste with improved chocolate writing
Yet another traditional apple tart
For our field trip we went to a village about 20 kilometers from Yssingeaux to visit a famous pastry shop and go wine tasting.
The Saint Honore Moderne (choux pastry with mango cream in the center and a lemon glacage center, covered in macaroons... not my personal favorite
Chocolate tart with a dark chocolate ganache, almond cream center and rich sweetcrust, covered in molded pastry cream and pistachios
And my personal favorite... a cake I'm really proud of at least, a black forest cake, with a cherry coulie center. I brushed melted chocolate with red coloring, let it harden and cut it into shapes to decorate the cake. I dipped my cherry in glaze and even put a fleck of gold on the chocolate window... my advanced friends loved it and it was even chosen for the display case (Don't you love how modest I am?) This week was the first time that I really felt good about everything that I made. I can already feel my improvement.
Pastry people are my kind of people (perfectionists and hard working wackos who love to please others). Before coming here I had only toyed with the idea of pastry as a an actual profession, but its not something you can only sort of commit to. People that don't invest don't last and don't get jobs. You have to be really driven to make it in this industry and while I haven't decided that this is what I want to commit to definitively. I'm definitely loving it and can picture myself taking on pastry as a career. So we shall see...
P.S. Here are some photos of the village I'm living in. Although some of the students are going crazy because its so small, I love its narrow streets and bakeries.
No comments:
Post a Comment